Measurement and Uncertainty
The first of two programs on measurement, a core topic
in the Year 12 Physics International Baccalaureate course.
The program deals with the following issues:
- why is measurement important in science?
- why is uncertainty inevitable in measurements?
- the importance of multiple measurements, and of averaging the results
- how to estimate the range of uncertainty in a measurement
- 'accuracy' vs 'precision'
- how to manage uncertainty when adding, subtracting, multiplying or dividing measurements
- expressing uncertainty in standard form
The program concludes with a practical exercise: students are
shown how to measure the Sun’s diameter and then estimate
the uncertainty in their results.
|Year levels||Senior Secondary|