Redox Reactions: Introduction to Redox Reactions
Part of a comprehensive 9-part series exploring the chemistry of both galvanic and electrolytic cells, and their many important applications.
Explains the essential features of redox reactions and their importance both in nature and in industry. Outlines the concepts of paired half-reactions and the ‘oxidation number’ system (and why oxidation numbers are so useful).
- What is a redox reaction?
- Redox reactions in the real world
- Oxidation numbers
- Oxidation numbers: exceptions
- Using oxidation numbers
- Redox reactions: the sum of two halves
- Combustion of methane
- Balancing equations for redox reactions
Chemistry Consultant: Warren Moseley (Co-author, Heinnemann Chemistry 2; former member VCAA Chemistry Standing C’tee).
|Year levels||Senior Secondary - Tertiary|