The first of two programs on measurement, a core topic
in the Year 12 Physics International Baccalaureate course.
The program deals with the following questions:
- why is measurement important in science?
- why is uncertainty inevitable in measurements?
- the importance of multiple measurements,
and of averaging the results
- how to estimate the range of uncertainty in a measurement
- accuracy vs precision
- how to manage uncertainty when adding, subtracting,
multiplying or dividing measurements
- expressing uncertainty in standard form
The program concludes with a practical exercise: students are
shown how to measure the Sun’s diameter and then estimate
the uncertainty in their results.
|Year Levels||Senior secondary|
|School Price||$110 incl GST (+$8 p&h In Aust/ elsewhere POA)|